We are walking on an iron road that does not look that stable. Underneath me I see shimmering water. I can see the current pushing leafs forward. As we walk further we cross some small islands which face the water like immovable objects and let they make the water flow even faster. On the concrete pillars, which hold up the bridge, lie turtles warming themselves in the sun. It’s a riddle how they can swim through the current that good.
Over the treetops it look like big white clouds pack themselves together. But above the skies are crisp and blue. A rolling thunder lets itself hear louder and loader from afar. But the trees keep us from seeing where it comes from. Further and further we walk over the iron bridge and in the corners of my eyes I see a broken bridge half submerged. Its pillars lie broken besides it. The water now is rushing by. Our bridge will hold the current?
The roaring is now in its full force and from the depths below we see thick clouds of water rise to the top. We won’t stay dry over here. We finally reached the Garganta del Diablo, the Devils Throat. The most impressive waterfall which I have even seen. From three sides water flows dozens of meters in the abyss and smashes into the rocks below. A continues explosion of vapor shoots back to the top and is blown against me and the other visitors. Nobody stays dry.
The Devils Throat is the biggest of more then 150 waterfalls that together form the Iquaçu falls and they all lie within 2.7 kilometer from each other. The fall resemble the letter J and 20% lie on Brazilian soil and the other 80% on Argentine soil. The border of the two biggest countries of South America goes exactly through the Devils Throat.
We went to both sides during our stay in Foz do Iquaçu and we find the Argentinian side far out the best side. But you will need a whole day to see it all. If you have less time then I would suggest you’d go to the Brazilian side. You can see all the falls in over 2 hours. From Brazil you have the best view over the Argentinian falls.
All Argentinian falls can be visited by following four different trails. A train brings you to the farthest and orange trail which will lead you to see the Devils Throat. We started our day with this one because it closes first in the afternoon. The blue and lower trail brought us the most beautiful views. The one even better then the other. The red and upper trail brought us over the tops of the waterfalls from where you can look dozens of meters down. The way back is through a spectacular swamp and jungle.
In the jungle we hear birds twitter and crickets Chirping. But we do not see them. We do see at group of Capuchin monkeys that look at us with their beady eyes. Sorry guys, we are out of food. A Coatis (looks like a raccoon) stole it that afternoon from our backpack when we waited for the train. We feel really bad about it but in our defense. They are constantly on the lookout for these kind of opportunities. And that afternoon we saw we were not the only ones.
We watched the Iquaçu waterfalls with our own eyes and we truly think they belong to the seven nature world wonders. The entree fee for the Brazilian side is R$ 57,30 real (€15,90, June 2016) per person against A$ 330,- Pesos (€19,95) per person. You can only pay with pesos on the Argentinian side so bring plenty of it with you. A exchange office is situated in the Muffata supermarket in Foz do Iquaçu. You can also take a boat trip which literally takes you into the Argentinian falls. We do not know how much this cost because we did not do this.